Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day 2

I´m so glad it is day 2. Day 2 is way better than Day 1. I don´t start teaching until Monday, the sisters gave me the week off to get adjusted to being here, but this morning as I spoke with Sister Carolina she invited me to say hello to one of my classes. (Apparently they are still meeting this week, there just isn´t a teacher. This surprised me since they behaved very well on their own - roughly 30 kids.)

I said hello, did a brief introduction, I think I told them I will help them learn English but they have to help me with my Spanish. Then, at the prompting of Sister Carolina, I went to my room, got my guitar and an English song (as if I have any Spanish) and played it for them. S. Carolina wrote the words on the board, the students (all girls school) wrote them down, then I sang the song for them. We then went through it verse by verse with the girls singing along as well. I even gave them homework to translate it!

I´m so grateful to S. Carolina for inviting me to meet the class, it helped to dispel any scary unknows that were tormenting me. If I just approach each class with the casualness of today (granted, prepared with words and work as well) I´ll be fine.

I have to remember I can only do so much. I don´t have to worry about what I think I should do, but simply do what I know I can. For example, I can play guitar. This I will do.

In a little bit I´m off to immigration to apply for a residential visa which will allow me to stay here as long as I need. Yes, today is much better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karina,
It's crazy! You are in El Salvador!! I wish you so much luck on this new adventure. You will be great, I'm sure of it. Just trust in the fact that God sent you there for a reason and be reassured.
love ya,
Sara

havalittlcourage said...

I am so glad today has been better!!! I said a prayer for you. What song did you sing them? By the way, that S. Carolina thing throws me. I translate it to South Carolina naturally now. Sigh. :) So glad you are enjoying yourself there. I am thrilled for you to be able to have this amazing experience! I love you and miss you. -Katie

Tanya said...

Good to know you don't have to travel every couple of months just to stay in the country.
I like what you're doing to the site.
Are you close to the water or more inland?
It is warmer where you are than where I am. I am now jealous, because right now I am very cold. ;p

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that you made it to El Salvador safely. And I'm glad your guitar made it safely, too! I can't imagine having to speak a totally different language all of the sudden. But then again, you wanted to become fluent in Spanish! I hope that the Spanish gets easier soon:)

Karina said...

Sara - you are so right! That exact phrase has been running through my head since I got here.
Katie - I´ll call her S. Carol from now, that´s what she goes by anyway. :)
Tanya - Yeah, I´ve started the application for the Visa, but there seem to be, as Erin would say, 10 million steps to get it.
I think I am close to the water, and by close I mean 2 hours away. When the plane came in for the landing, it flew out over the ocean, then turned around and landed at the airport. From there it was a 1 hour drive to the school.
It is very warm here. I love it!
Erin - Thanks! I´m glad me and my guitar made it safely too, and the guitar has already come in handy. The girls that dorm at the school love it and I´ve made plans with them to play it Monday night. :) I love them! They make all the headaches and tears worth it.