Sunday, January 18, 2009

Day 4

4 Days. It feels like so much longer. My Spanish is coming along. I see very clearly how much I don´t understand everyday when I listen to everyone, but then I sit back and realize how much I do understand compared to when I first got here. The difference is pretty substancial. Sister Margarita also gave me a book to use so I can study and remember/learn more Spanish. It´s helping.

Today has been a rough day. Mass in the morning was great. The priest is from another country and his first language is not Spanish. I think this is why I understood him during the homily. He spoke slowly, used words I understood, and enunciated each word - I understood everything! Well, almost, there were some words I didn´t know. After that, S. Margarita gave me my schedule (at my prompting) for my classes tomorrow. Well, it only took about 1 minute after looking at it and I was in tears. So many classes! Some 2 hours long. I´ve been putting together an overview of the year over the last 3 days with some resources from the sisters, but seeing the schedule kinda of cemented just how many classes I had to prepare, which put me over the edge.
And I can´t seem to operate my new phone. The lady at the store said it came with $5 worth of minutes which should last me awhile, but when I tried to call it tells me I need to buy minutes. So I did, I bought a card (Erin, I´m sorry, the card you got me doesn´t work when trying to call into the states, only calling out), but when I use that number it tells me the PIN from the card is not valid. ????? Why? This makes no sense and I´m frustrated. Nobody else here is able to figure it out either, and believe me, they´ve all tried. Such helpful people!

At any rate, after crying, Solidea (Italian volunteer - simply wonderful, I love her) will now be with me for each class so at least one teacher speaks Spanish. This is nice. We are also planning the classes together, though I am still going to do most of it, she has her own classes, but she wants to help plan as well. Okay.

In truth, I am looking forward to tomorrow. I really like the students I´ve already met and look forward to meeting the rest. And to playing my guitar for class. That was really fun!

1 comment:

Tanya said...

I know it's overwhelming at first, but you will get things figured out and make them work the way you want them too.