Friday, January 23, 2009

Just Like the Movies

Today I experienced what I would like to call a Sound of Music moment.

Let me set the mood. This is an all girls Catholic school, so this means uniforms of white shirts, blue skirts and black shoes with white socks. A very cute effect overall. After lunch today I went over to the dormatory to drop off my guitar and bookbag. Since classes were over for the primary grades (up to grade 8) some of the girls were hanging around the bottom of the stairs waiting for their parents to pick them up. As I walked, up a few ran over to me and gave me hugs (this is a frequent event. Usually a few moments without either myself or Solidea in sight is enough time for them to miss us terribly and rejoice mightily upon our return. Needless to say, anytime we have to go to the dormatory we have to add in about 15-20 extra minutes to account for reunion time full of hugs, kisses, and general despair at our leaving.)

Where was I? Oh yes, so as they greeted me, the sunlight warm upon our smiling faces, they asked if would PLEASE sing a song for them. While I had planned on cleaning at this time, I instead took a seat on a bench and pulled out my guitar. All the girls sat on the ground around me and waited expectently. I played I Surrender and as I sang the girls just sat and stared in apparent wonder.

When I finished they all applauded and asked to hear it again. I also heard applause from across the basketball court where a group of older girls were working together on a project. They were calling to me to come closer so they could hear. Around me the younger girls yelled to them to come over here. So the older girls got up and came over. I sang the song again. I had so much fun!

I ended up singing the song about 3 more times as various people walked by and wanted to hear. Each time all the girls around me fell silent and listened. I was a little surprised because they didn´t get bored with it. A great moment today!

Along with that, S. Carol asked me if my students know the two songs I am using for classes enough to sing them at the school mass next Friday. After much confusion on my part as to what she was asking (still working on this Spanish thing) it turns out she would like me to play the two songs on my guitar and lead the singing during mass - just for these two songs. I thought, "what the hell," and said my students will know the songs in English enough to sing them by Friday. I think many of them know the songs well enough now. Either way, they don´t have to remember the words as they will have all the songs on a piece of paper.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Karina! I'm glad you had a moment like this to encourage you. I also love that you mentally said "what the hell" in response to a nun's request. ah... good luck my friend and you can call me to vent anytime.
recordas estar tranquilo mi amiga :)
(i'm probably way off on my spanish. oh well, what the hell) :)
Sara

Unknown said...

Karina! My favorite word you've used so far in your blogs is hell! You go, sweetie! I found you on facebook and found your blog there. You are some brave Yooper! Hang in there. You won't want to speak English by the time you come back here!
Love
Toni in GR
I found Amanda's photos, too, so now I can say hey to her!

Anonymous said...

Hey Karina,

Good to hear you're getting along so well with the students. They sound so well-behaved compared to American kids. I was a teacher's aid for 5th grade CCD last year and the kids drove me absolutely nuts.
Incidentally, my brother Tom will be in your neighborhood this fall. He'll be studying in Costa Rica for the semester (I think that's sort of nearby). Anyway, best of luck to you, take care.

Joe LeFevre

Anonymous said...

yay karina! i had no idea you played guitar! what the hell! Teaching is awesome and you rock girl.

-Melissa