Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I'm Home

My flight out of El Salvador would be leaving at 7:45 am. I woke up at 4, we (2 Sister's, Gina, and I) left the school at 5. Arrived at the airport at 5:50. Airport doesn't open until 6. Became flustered at my missing guitar, but relieved when Don Francesco (the driver) brought it to me after forgetting to unload it with my other luggage. Said my goodbye's to Gina, Sor Guillen and Sor Olinda who gave me a souvenir plate with the national bird painted on it and some coconut candies which they both know I love!

As I passed through security, the Immigration station told me I had to pay a fine for being illegal. The officer was trying to break it to my easy so I just told her that I knew about the fine and explained why I didn't have a Visa. She only charged me $60 instead of $114.29 saying that since I had volunteered without pay she wouldn't make me pay the whole amount. :) Needless to say, I like her.

A series of 3 flights, customs, checking and rechecking my baggage, and running around airports followed, until 10 hours later I found my mom and gave her a bear hug!

I woke up this morning in my own bed. It felt normal and decidedly weird as well. I ate breakfast with my pajamas on - a luxury I had forgotten about. I also did what I have been avoiding for the past 6 months - I weighed myself. 15 lbs heavier! Well, that gives me something to work on now that I'm home. :)

Deep thoughts to follow.

1 comment:

Karina said...

Did I mention I did the "I'm home" dance? Because I did. The words go something like this: "I'm home. I'm home. I'm home. I'm home..."