Thursday, October 16, 2008

And So It Begins

This post is rather lengthy - just to prepare you. Best to take a bathroom break now.

For the last 6 years or so I have felt (to greater and lesser degrees) called to missionary work. This last year it has virtually consumed me as I hunted and researched groups to apply through. Then, back at the beginning of September, I came across a website for the Salesian Sisters and it felt right; like I had arrived at my destination. I sent in the preliminary application and they responded by asking me to complete the full application. The deadline was October 1st. It was not a short application.

The next three weeks were a flurry as I called around to doctors to get a physical, I sent out reference requests, of which I needed four, requested school transcripts, made copies of documents, filled out my own reference and the full application form which included 5 essay questions. The instructions for the essay questions actually said, "Please keep your responses limited to 1 to 2 typed pages." I felt a little overwhelmed, but terribly excited. I completed all the tasks they had set before me. My references were in (thank you, thank you, thank you!). I put the application in the mail on Tuesday, September 22nd.

On Wednesday October 8th I received an email telling me I had been accepted to the program! How excited was I? I managed to contain my excitement until after the work day ended (work does not know yet that I am leaving in December).

Now there is so much to do!

But before I get in to that, I have to explain some of the story that led up to this point. I shared this talk at Connect after coming back from World Youth Day (WYD) - Sydney in August, and my friend Amanda encouraged me to share my witness. I wrote it in my journal, but I'm finally going to post it here.

Before even signing up to go to WYD, I didn't really have my heart set on going. I wanted to do missionary work - preferably outside the country - for a year or more. With so many of my friends planning weddings for '08 (and having been asked to stand in all of them - how can I say no, I love these guys!) I didn't want to miss these momentous occasions in my friends lives. So I decided to postpone my ambitions for a year - which is why I decided to go to WYD.

As anyone can tell you, a substitute is not as good as the original. The approach of the impending pilgrimage seemed to taunt me - a constant reminder of my unrealized dreams. Just another device I had put in my way to try and distract myself from what I should be doing - following God's call on my heart to missionary work.

The night before we left for Australia I called my mom and broke down sobbing. I couldn't seem to feel happy and excited like I should before such an amazing trip. Instead, I was dreading it. My mom asked all the right questions and helped me break through the mask I had been hiding behind. Until that point, I didn't fully realize what lay behind that mask of disinterest, anger, and confusion; now I know it harbored my unfulfilled dreams.

Feeling a bit better with this new knowledge, I hung up with my mom and proceeded to go to Erin and repeat the process, crying on her shoulder. Then we drank wine. I felt much better after that.

My time in Australia turned out to be a time of freedom for me. Freedom from the stresses and worries of work; from responsibilities to my family and friends; from everything that can weigh you down. With all these responsibilities and concerns lifted from me, I became more aware of myself. The me behind the mask. And without all the distractions of everyday life, I was able to very clearly hear God's call for me.

In the end, traveling to Australia was not another distraction, but a clarification of what I needed to do. It jump started my journey down a new path - currently headed toward San Antonio, Texas for orientation to my missionary program.

Even now, after all this, I don't think missionary work is the end task God is calling me toward, it feels more like a first step, and if the first step is this exciting, I can't wait to see what He's got in store next!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you rock karina! I'm proud of you for following your dreams and not settling for less than you are worth.

-m. aho

Tanya said...

Hey there. I'm glad to see you finally got it working for ya.
This is very exciting and I'm looking forward to hearing about everything. Hopefully you will have regular access wherever you end up. Just think about how awesome your Spanish is going to be.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read more! It's like reality TV, except, it's not TV. . . more like a reality novel. Wait. That would be a memoir. Okay . . . Good segmented memoir!!

But seriously, we're all praying for you and are super excited! YAY!

Sarah J.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...Karina,
Miss you I will. Yes, that was a little Yoda'ish but you'll understand. Who am I going to swing dance with? Who will you swing dance with? Who will I share my amazingly sarcastic humor with while your gone? Can I post things on your blog? Can I ask you questions on your blog? Wait, your blogging!?! Sigh, I'm tired. But seriously this long post simply demonstrates how much I am totally going to miss not having you there when I come home. It sincerely saddens me. Maybe I won't even come home anymore. Not if everyone is just gunna up and leave. "oops tyler's commin to town, lets leave the country!" No, but seriously, I am really happy for you and excited and I actually remember us talking about this so I guess I knew it was going to happen. I look forward to reading your posts and leaving you long comments.

Karina said...

Thanks for the support from everyone. I got a second helping when I went home for Thanksgiving last weekend and good timing too as the events to get me to El Salvador are speeding up.

Tyler - I look forward to your long comments and will definitely miss dancing with you. I better see you at Christmas before I leave!