Monday, October 20, 2008

Grateful

Thank you so much for all the support and responses from everyone!! I have such amazing friends and can't express my appreciation adequately. It is so reassuring to know I'll be leaving with many prayers and goodwill to send me off. It didn't really hit me until last night that I'll be leaving behind everything that I know and heading off into the unknown on my own. Talk about testing my faith! It's all about creating space for God though, right? When I am lowest is when He is closest. (or when I am scared-est) And I think living in a religious community will definitely support my spiritual growth.

Speaking of the religious community I'll be living with, the Salasian Sisters were founded by St. Mary Mazzarello (1837-1881), who worked with St. John Bosco (who founded the Salesians) and founded the Salesian Sisters in 1872.
I have the Coat of Arms for the Salesian Sisters posted on my blog, so I though an explanation of the symbols would be helpful:

The Dove represents the Holy Spirit who is the source of the spiritual life that animates our Salesian mission.
Mary Help of Christians, our Mother, whose direct intervention brought our congregation into existence.
Lilies signify our Consecrated Chastity that enables us to give ourselves totally for the young.
A Forest, through play on words, represents our founder, Don Bosco. "Bosco" means forest in Italian.
The Well represents the Italian town, Mornese, birthplace of our foundress, St. Mary Mazzarello.
The Anchor stands for the Hope that fills our spirit with courageous daring.
The Star is the symbol of the Faith that impels us to serve the Lord in joyful fidelity.
The Heart represents the Love Salesians have for the young people they serve.
Roses symbolize the Loving Kindness that imbues our family spirit.

I like that the anchor is so big and draws the eye. It seems to represent my life right now - a new hope, and courage will be needed to take this step on my walk with God. Thank you again for all your support and prayers - definitely helps with the courage part of the anchor symbol!

No comments: