Friday, December 5, 2008

Do I even need a Visa?

So, yesterday and today were focused on how to get a visa. This, as it turns out, is not easy. It is not easy to get a visa, nor is it easy to figure out the steps one hopeful traveler needs to take to procure a visa. Let me highlight some of the high points from my search. (in truth, I included every point in my search, I just numbered them. And then added a few points not related.)

1) I need a visa to remain in El Salvador for a year.
2) In order to get a visa I need to fill out an application and mail it along with my passport and airplane tickets to the nearest El Salvadorian embassy for processing.
3) Airplane tickets need to include a return flight to the states.
4) I'm not coming back in a time frame the airline tickets will sell. Hmmm....
5) Nearest embassy is in Chicago
6) I called the embassy last night. Their hours are M-F 9AM-Noon. 3 hours of availability. Fabulous.
7) I called the embassy today. The guy who answers tells me I do not need a visa, only a passport. I clarify that I will be spending a year in El Salvador. He repeats previous statement.
8) I don't believe embassy guy.
9) I attempt to call American embassy in El Salvador, however, haven't figured out the country code yet. Failed attempt.
10) I search online for blogs of people who have gone through this before.
11) Find blog http://theelsalvadorgringo.com/. He is a frequent traveler to Central and South America and is my hero of the day. He has a fabulous blog about passports and visas
12) From his post, the brief call to the embassy, and tidbits I've picked up while scrounging feverishly around the internet (no wonder I've developed carpal tunnel), I have deduced I can simply go to El Salvador with my passport (translated into Spanish of course), purchase a $10 travel visa at the airport, which will be good for one month and then ask for the visa to be extended to 3 months.
13) From this point I will have to leave the country every 3 months and then return to purchase another $10 visa and repeat the process.
14) Bothersome, possibly, but I would only have to do it 3 times and I can simply use the weekends to see other countries. :)
a) It comes to mind that I'll be leaving winter for summer this January, but also that I'll be leaving summer for winter when I return. I'm thinking, if I like it down there, I stay an additional 6 months, then leave summer to came back to summer! I could even make it an annual event and avoid winter all together! (nah, I really do like winter. a little.)
15) Oh Yeah, I still need to have a return airplane ticket to get the $10 visa. Which is why I am going to see a travel agent tomorrow about purchasing a ticket to El Salvador with an open date on the return ticket. I hear these are more expensive, but since I'm looking at around $600 for the flight down, I'm hoping the open ended ticket would be around $1200, which would equal a flight there and back. We'll see, there will probably be some complicated process to actually acquiring and using the ticket.
16) I am also going to call the El Salvadorian embassy again to see if I get someone else to talk to. This time I'll ask "what do I need to get down to El Salvador and stay there for a year" and maybe I'll get a more comprehensive answer.
17) I also need to bring certain documents to the El Salvadorian embassy to be translated into Spanish and stamped with their official embassy seal. With stellar hours like 9-12, I'll be taking a day off work and driving to Chicago.
18) I would like a job where I only have to work from 9-12.
19) I would also like to learn to dance hip hop. Perhaps now is not the time to pursue that interest. Next year.
20) Make chocolate milk (I had to include something to bring the number total to 20)

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Well you are making progress so that's a positive. Do you remember Bob? I could give you his number and you two could meet up for lunch or something in Chi town if you're interested. Let me know.
Love ya. ;p

Karina said...

Thank you Tanya, but I will no longer be going to Chicago. Translation services do not need to be done at the embassy. Yea! (besides, I think trying to coordinate a lunch and then navigate Chicago to meet would have been way to much for me).