Monday, December 15, 2008

Time to Think

With all the running around getting paperwork together for this trip I haven't really taken the time to realize I'm leaving Grand Rapids in one week. Monday next week I'll be driving home to my parents house and from there the rest of my journey begins.

Sunday night I really began to think about it when my dad called to tell me he could be down with the van (one ton van from the factory) to load up my furniture Saturday afternoon. This is one day earlier than we had originally planned and I kinda freaked out. I didn't know what to say because this would reduce my very limited time to spend with friends and say goodbye. We talked and decided I would still stay until Monday and my dad would drive home with all my furniture on Sunday morning (hopefully after Mass:). Which means I will be attending the cookie decorating gathering at Marcus' Sunday night. How exciting, no?

One week. The time really did go by fast. I should be packing right now, but I'm not. The calls from friends to hang out one last time are coming in and my week is filling up. It's hard to say no to anyone because I really want to see everyone! But I do need to finish getting ready to leave as well. At least all the paperwork I have to finish during work hours, which leaves the night hours free to plan. I'm hoping to do most of my packing on Saturday. I already have most of my clothes packed and I'm aiming to pack up my dishes next. I realized today I have to get paint to paint the wall in my room back to white from the golden bronze I painted it when I moved in. I can do that Saturday.

There I go, getting caught up in the details again. The next time I drive home it's for good, not just for a holiday visit. I can't believe how much I'm leaving behind: the amazing people I've met, the religious groups that have formed all over Grand Rapids, the parties, Diet Coke and Mentos, soccer, barbeque's, beach volleyball, the beach, walking the pier, Traverse City Cherry Festival, ski weekends with Erin's family, weekends in Chicago at the seminary, fighting with Erin's cats for seating at the apartment, dancing to Irish music at the Black Rose, ballroom dancing 2 to 3 times a week, swing dancing Tuesdays at Rosa Park, singing Karaoke, sending all my friends to Holland (by accident!) when giving directions to my apartment, eating brownies fresh out of the oven with ice cream on top, Tuesday night dinners with a wine of the week, Halloween, Christmas, and New Year's parties, bread break with my co-workers, Sci-Fi Friday nights, training for and running 2 sprint triathlons, playing guitar for Connect . . . wow, and that doesn't even include the trip to Australia and all the weddings from this year. And don't forget bowling after Connect, watching shooting stars late at night, mapping out the constellations on Grand Haven beach . . . What else am I missing?

Yeah, I'm gonna miss Grand Rapids, but even more, I'm gonna miss everyone who made this city home for me.

No comments: