Saturday, December 13, 2008

Visa? No problem

No more Visa problems! I called the El Salvadorian embassy in Chicago (again) and I spoke to the same guy I spoke to last time. I asked him in 3 different ways what I needed to go to El Salvador and even explained I had read about Tourist Visa's. He assured me I did not need a Visa, only my passport. I asked for it in writing, but he just told me again I only need my passport. I asked him a few more questions and he answered those really well, so I decided I believe him about the Visa's as well.

That said, I am purchasing a one way ticket to El Salvador. Yea! If I need a Tourist Visa when I get down in El Salvador I'll just buy a one ticket back home and get the Visa. I'm not worrying about it anymore.

Instead, I am worrying about translations of my documents. That is the next big thing. I think I can ask anyone to translate them for me and then take the documents and the translations to be authenticated at The Great Seal. I love that it is called The Great Seal. It reminds me of The Big Giant Head from the television show 3rd Rock from the Sun. :D

I ordered a copy of my birth certicate and hopefully it will get here next week before I leave. I paid enough for it to get here on time - I don't even want to hint at the dollar range on this one - ridiculous. I think I could have gotten a copy for less, but the order is in and it's paid for, so, it's done.

I gave a talk at Connect on Wednesday and I discovered through the process of preparing the talk that one should not attempt to give a talk while preparing for a major life change! I think I gave a decent talk given the circumstances (I was so stressed out the night before my talk!) and since our gathering was roughly 13-15 people that night it kept it intimate and allowed for more sharing and discussion. I liked that. My topic was death, which I think is a nice topic to prepare for Christmas. :) Really though, I think it is. After all, if we think about our death more, then we'll think about what we want to do before we die and perhaps realize that now is the time to do it, not later. Hence, I am heading off for missionary work! No time like the present.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assuming you are a US Citizen you do not need a special visa prior to leaving the US. However, upon arrival in El Salvador you will pay a $10 Entry Fee and they will stamp your passport with a Tourist Visa and give you up to 90 days. Since you don't have a return ticket, they may question your plans. You may want to say that you eventually are headed to other CA countries via land.

If you plan to stay for longer than 90 days than you will need to apply for a resident type of visa, which is beyond the scope of this comment ;-)

LauraElizabeth129 said...

Hello! That is very exciting that you are going to work in El Salvador. I currently am a volunteer here and I love it. I just came across your blog and I wanted to warn you though, its true you do not need a tourist visa to enter El Salvador, the only thing you will need is your passport. However, when I left last January, the airline would not let me enter the country with a one way ticket. I had to buy a refundable ticket for a return flight and then cancel it once I got to El Salvador. It wasn't a big deal, I got all my money back, but the ticket was about $700. So you might be asked to do the same. I'm not sure what the best way around that is except for buying a refundable return ticket and canceling it once you get there. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.
hershble@gmail.com
-Laura

Karina said...

Your comments are incredibly helpful and appreciated! You are proof that God answers prayers. In His own time of course, but He always answers.

I thought I might have to buy a return ticket and your confirmation is greatly appreciated!

Thank you again.