Friday, April 17, 2009

Alfombras

Easter, ever the happy time for traditions to make themselves know. I made my way over to Chalchuapa for Easter where I stayed with Sydney and Molly at the Maria Auxiliadora School there. On Good Friday I traveled alone for the first time by bus (that in itself was an adventure) and I arrived just in time to head out and see some carpets and the first of many processions for the weekend.

Yes, I did say carpets - alfombras. These are not your run of the mill, "lay one down in the entryway of your house" carpets. No, these are "make them out of colored salts, fruit, bread, leaves, sawdust, whatever you have on hand and lay them down in the street where the procession will be walking" carpets. So we went out to see these glorified carpets. Some where made of colored salts; others of fruit; others of . . . other stuff. Sadly, whatever they were made of, they would soon be walked over by the processions where statues of Jesus and Mary and others would be carried on mammoth platforms for roughly 3-4 hours, in what I would call "fry an egg on the street" heat. So, we viewed and contemplated what we could of the carpets while they were there. Really impressive! Reminded me of sand castle's, but with anything but sand.

Here we are contemplating. :) (Me, Lupe, Molly, Sor Marta - the idea for the picture was Sor's.)





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite impressive. I've always wanted to see them so thanks for sharing.
~Sara

Karina said...

You knew about the carpets? I didn't know about them until I was on the street looking at them. Just goes to show how little research I did about the culture before coming. :)