Saturday, April 25, 2009

Tourist for a day

What a fabulous day today! Solidea and I set out this morning for a day at the beach. I was not to thrilled as our previous beach experiences had been rather disappointing and boring. Lo and behold, this beach proved worth the trip, we finally found what we were looking for: Tourists! Playa El Tunco is the name and it is a surfing beach known around the world as one of the better places to surf. The surfing season starts in March and goes until October - or so one of the more dedicated surfers told me.

Not only did most of the people speak English (hooray!!) but I met a couple of women while browsing through some local merchandise and we all hit it off, so we spent the day together. The best part is that the older woman, Sonia, is a school teacher of 18 years in Southern California, came down for a week to the beach, and has been there four weeks now. She isn't going home until June. :) Yep, she ran away from school, said this year had been terrible and she wasn't going back. Well, she knew everyone and everyplace in Tunco already (it's not that big), speaks fluent Spanish, and was more than happy to show us around.

I felt such relief at conversing so freely in my own language with someone who is from the same culture! I didn't realize how much I miss the shared understanding that comes from growing up in similar cultures. Sonia will be there until June, so chances are good that we'll see her again. We've already made plans to return to Tunco in two weeks. :)

Oh to be a tourist again, what a great day. I love tourists - and not only that, surfers. Yes, I think I will learn how to surf.

5 comments:

Tanya said...

Yay for surfing. I want to learn too. Hopefully next time I go to Penghu I'll get the chance. So glad to hear you're meeting some new people and found a good beach.

Karina said...

Yes, it took awhile to find the beach because we were listening to what the El Salvadoreans were telling us about the beaches. Finally, we just decided to try one that we wanted to go to based on the description in the tour guide we have - best decision we made. I couldn't remember why the Sister's said it wasn't a good beach until this morning, when one of them asked, "It wasn't too rocky to swim?" Oh yeah, that was why they said not to go! No, not too rocky at all!
(there were a lot of rocks, but plenty of rock free beach too. And the rocks make the coolest sound when the waves roll over them and they all move!)

Katie Smith said...

I am so glad you had a good time! The ocean is scary but fun! Did you see any crazy marine life? We see starfish and jellyfish and sand dollars all over when we go to the beach. Surfing sounds fun - good for you for trying something new! Well...we miss you lots and I am so glad you have been enjoying your time there. I love you.

Karina said...

Surprisingly, no ocean life on the beach. There were some broken shells, but mainly we just saw rocks on the beach.

I don't have any pictures because I accidentally deleted them all, but there weren't any that I can't take again the next time we go there! :)

Anonymous said...

coolness! glad you found a fellow American! I can understand her frustration about teaching. NC was crappy, too. ALSO, it would be awesome if you learned how to surf. :)
take care
-Melissa