Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pupusas

I would like to qualify that I do like Pupusas. They are the national food here, are very tasty, and come with a variety of fillings. What is a Pupusa? Well, the easiest way to explain it (and the only way I know how) is that the Pupusa is a stuffed tortilla. The tortilla can be a corn or rice tortilla and can be filled with frijoles, cheese, chicken, spinach, and a multitude of other options, but always with cheese.

The reason for my stating eating pupusas was one of my least favorite things during the camp is that we had them almost everyday during the camp and while tasty, pupusas are not healthy, and are always cooked with oil - as everything seems to be cooked with oil here. Hence, the eating of Pupusas in part contributed to my being sick.

Here is a somewhat overcooked pupusa which I, personally, overcooked. :)

1 comment:

Erin said...

I had a papusa on Fat Tuesday and it was pretty yummy, but I can definitely see how they would overly grease up your insides! Yummy and icky at the same time. Kind of like having McDonald's french fries every day for a week. Yumick!