Friday, May 29, 2009

Coming Home

I know I haven´t posted for awhile, but that is because the only thing I have been thinking about is my trip home next Tuesday! I´m very excited. The day before I leave is June 1st and is the day the new President Elect, Mauricio Funes, is inaugurated into office. Hillary Clinton is coming. All the public schools will be closed on this day, but the Sister´s haven´t decided yet if they will be open or not. This is their first year as a private school and so they were supposed to make the announcement today at the Buenas Dias this morning, but I either missed it or they didn´t say. Maybe there will be an announcement later in the day.


So what has happened since that huge donation on Saturday? The house of the Sister´s is still crammed full of boxes, but the bags of those goldfish crackers are being reduced as the students help package them into smaller bags which can then be sold - and many are given to the students who help package them. The Sister´s explained to us that when they get massive donations like this they can sell the items to local vendors at a very low cost for the vendors and still make a profit for the Sister´s since it was a donation. For the Sister´s, at this time, it is very helpful as they are working to raise money to pay for the construction of new classrooms.

Last night we all woke up to a strong earthquake that lasted a few minutes. Turns out the earthquake didn´t originate in El Salvador, but in Honduras in some islands just off the coast. While it was strong for us, it was much stronger for the volunteers in Honduras who we talked to this morning. Nothing fell apart or fell down, though, we´re all safe.

Other than that, some of the Interna´s got in a fight this morning and ripped some clothes, some items were stolen last night from one of the Interna´s, and I´ve had two Interna´s come up to me in the past week apologizing for something they did or said to me. Is there a full moon? Nonetheless, they are all excited that I am going home and expect chocolate when I return. Nice to be loved, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad ur safe!!! i don't like that u are around earthquakes! can'y wait to see ya, beautiful.

-melissa