Saturday, July 25, 2009

Nature Wars

Karina: 1
Ants: 0

Interna´s: 2
Bats: 0

That is the official score from last night.
After saying our evening rosary, the Interna´s and I head down to the kitchen for their dinner. Upon entering I hear something crunchy underfoot. Bad sign, this means there is food on the floor which means there will be ants. Conveniently, the lights were not working so I couldn´t see what was crunchy, but immediately assumed the worst and began a wild stomping dance across the floor suspecting I had ants crawling on me. I get the willies just thinking about it.

Finally, the lights came on and the thick path of black ants was revealed. Big ants. Lots of them. They came for the pasta which was stacked in plastic bags in 3 crates on the floor. Because the pasta was hard it poked right through all the plastic bags and fell to the floor in a manner oh so tantalizing to ants. Ants that came in swarms. I grabbed a broom, enlisted another girl, and the two of us swept the growing pile of ants out of the kitchen. With quick thinking we pushed the crates of pasta outside. Grabbing buckets of water I doused the milling ants and watched them wash away into the darkness of the night. It was a great victory! I stood proudly with my bucket for a second until I heard screaming and saw Interna´s come running down the stairs shouting a word I didn´t know.

Upon investigating I discovered the word meant ¨bat,¨and two of the girls were diligently waving brooms around in an attempt to beat a flying bat out of the study room. And they succeeded! Actually, I think all the screaming confused the bats sonar so he ran right into a broom and fell to the floor. (man those girls can scream!) To ensure their safety, the girls beat the hell out of the bat, and then I threw it away.

After dinner, we repeated the process when another bat flew into the room. I think we should do this every night, keeps the girls on their toes, and they´re learning how to work together. :)

2 comments:

Katie Smith said...

I think this was my favorite post so far! LOL

Erin O'Connor said...

Where's MacIntosh when you need him? Oh yeah, he's up here with me! He hasn't caught any bats this year, but he "caught" a baby bird (not sure how he got it) and Bailey caught a bird out on the balcony! And promptly brought it inside. I wasn't home, but Maria told me about it. She managed to get Bailey to drop it; naturally it wasn't dead but amazingly enough when she dropped the bird it flew out the screen door!