Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Name

Usually, when ordering out and I have to leave my name, I find it easier to leave my middle name - Elizabeth - because people understand this name and can spell it, whereas my first name results in a confused stare.

One time while here in El Salvador, Solidea and I ordered pizza and had to leave a name. Since Solidea was ordering for both of us, she said her name and received the confused stare I am used to. I jumped in and said, why don´t you use my name, Karina. The girl smiled and quickly wrote my name. So that´s how it feels!

My name is common here. Even the spelling. I haven´t counted how many Karina´s I have in my classes, but I´ve been making seating charts and have come across about 15 so far.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you, you commoner. what's funny to me is that when we lived together, i usually asked you to call people cause when i say that sara is calling it's too vague and they still don't know who's calling. giving a last name doesn't even help since no one knows how to spell my last name yet alone knows how it is properly pronounced so they still don't recognize who's calling. HENCE, i asked you to call and leave your name cause there's only so many karinas and they would know who was calling. anyway....
~sara

Karina said...

Ha Ha! And that hasn´t changed even now that you´re married! Well, your name is unique in El Salvador. :)

Anonymous said...

I thought your middle name was Louise-!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there are so many Karinas! Did your parents know they were giving you an El Salvadorean name?

Karina said...

Mike, did you really think my middle name was Louise? Or did you forget that you made that up?