Thursday, June 18, 2009

Immigration

Today I went to the Embassy and to Immigration. At the Embassy I met Lidia, who had translated a few documents for me. She is a great lady and I really like her, she even told she could get me a job at her school for next year if I wanted! Pondering... Yeah, we'll see how this year goes first.

We entered, had the four documents notarized, I paid her and I paid for the notarizations. Then off to Immigration. I'm feeling pretty good at this point. I have all my documents, I have everything translated, I have all the notarizations that I need - I'm set.

No. No, I was wrong.

Immigration is a very humbling place.

WELL... the documents I had translated were not translated and notarized by a lawyer. I fail to see why this is important, but as I was told several times, it's the law. I even know the number, law #24 from some book related to Immigration I'm sure. I guess that's pretty official.

Oh, and the letters I ran all over town to get when I first got here? They're old.
No, they are from this year.
Yes, but January and February.
Yes, of this year.
Well, you'll need new ones.
(restrained silence)
Anything else I should know?
That's everything.
Yes, that is almost everything. How about these photocopies? Are they clear enough? Maybe I should put a date on them and after 3 months I'll make new ones.

So, I'm going to return with Solidea and talk to someone else. I don't think they're going to let up on having a lawyer notarize the translations, but I can deal with that. Having to get another letter from the Bishop and having another health test at the hospital are not on my list of things to do again.

And the letters are not old. I haven't taken a break from applying for a Visa. These are the same letters from the same process. It's just that I keep finding out about new rules each time I go. I suggested they put this rule about the lawyer on their list of items needed - seeing as how it's so important.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg that is so horrible. i'll pray it all turns out.

-melissa