Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Immigration - Part 394

I went to Immigration today, they had my coffee waiting for me just the way I like it. Okay, I don't go THAT often, but I think I can get a job there once I have my Visa because I'll know intimately how immigration works by then.

After having my translated documents translated again and notarized by a lawyer (so happy we know someone at the lawyer's office, I didn't have to pay!) Solidea and I returned to Immigration and sadly, got the same guy as last time. He was the only one there and we were the only one's waiting to see him. Go figure.

Right, all my documents are still old according to him. It is old after 3 months unless specifically written on the document that it is good for 1 year. Grrrr. By the way, mom, I will be calling you today - I need some more documents.

Solidea and I took the paperwork for the extension, ran over to the school where Sor Judith is (she is the head honcho for the Sister's in San Salvador), had her write the letter for our extension, ran over to our lawyer friend, got the notarization (yes, I know that's not the Legal way to do it, but so far, so good), ran back to immigration, made a dozen photocopies of everything, ran from window to window with papers flying behind us, stuffed money into hands (no, I didn't bribe people), handed over my passport, splashed a cup of water over my face from a water station, swam the fountain in the middle of the office, stopped to stretch out a cramp in my leg, hobbled up to the last window, and finally all the documents were submitted and I had paid for them along with paying for my illegal time in El Salvador.

Now, I should get the extension in my passport tomorrow, but this still means I have to get all new documents for the Visa. Yeah, the marathon I ran today was only for the extension. Hey, at least now I know exactly what I need to do, having already done everything one or five times.

Oh yeah, and the illegal time in El Salvador? 11 days = $114. Thanks to the sob story Solidea gave the lady about me being sick and having to go home because a relative was sick, the lady took pity on me and cut the price to $57. So, a positive point, that and we actually got all the immediately necessary paperwork in today, which is rather a miracle in itself. Thanks for the prayers everyone!

3 comments:

Erin O'Connor said...

Turn your books to page three-hundred and ninety-four!

Sound familiar? It's my favorite quote from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Why did you choose the title "Imigration Part 394"?? Did you choose that number on purpose or is it a crazy wierd coincidence?

Karina said...

I totally chose that number on purpose! And I knew it was your favorite quote so I was hoping for a comment from you. :) And I think of Immigration like Werewolves, they don't mean to be horrible, they just can't help themselves when they see my paperwork.:p

Erin O'Connor said...

that's too funny!

Weremmigration!!