Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Confession

I had a great confession last night. The priest talked to me about how he spent 7 years as a missionary on the East Coast of the States and that it was very difficult for him. He said the first year he felt sad all the time and missed his home very much, by the second year he felt better, more acclimated, and by year three, he felt at home. I laughed and said ¨So I just need to stay here 2 more years and I´ll feel better.¨

Truth is, I really enjoy my time with the students and with the Interna´s. It´s the time I´m alone that my thoughts turn to home. I think of my family and friends and how I have none here. I dwell on the lack of independence I have in moving around the community outside the school and that there is no place to ¨get away from it all¨ since I live at the school. I have also let my prayer life disappear.

Last night the priest gave me new life. He told me to start praying again and I wouldn´t be sad. Not sure if it will be that easy, but I´m going to offer up my times of depression for specific intentions and will start again my daily prayers. I will think of what I can do for the Interna´s and focus more on my classes - especially since I´m teaching all alone now, starting today.

Solidea leaving doesn´t have to be a bad thing. I will miss her terribly since she is the one person here I can confide in, but without her I have to rely more on my Jesus. This should be a good time of reestablishing my relationship with Him.

2 comments:

Carrie Sue said...

That's one smart priest. :) All the times I get discouraged or can't seem to dwell on anything but what I wish were different, the only consistent factor is my lack of daily time in prayer. You'd think I'd learn my lesson but I seem to be a rather thick headed student.

Karina said...

Ditto! Ha ha!