Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Cook . . .

. . . in the kitchen with the expired soup mix.

Okay, I thought this was funny. Today's lunch included vegetable soup, which is a pretty common occurrence. I like the vegetable soup. Usually it is flavored with garlic. Today, I could not identify the flavoring in the soup other than ick. I ate the vegetables and then poured the broth down the sink. No one was eating lunch at the same time as me, so this act went unobserved.

As Solidea and I went to class we discussed the oddly flavored soup. It was good to hear she thought it tasted bad as well and it wasn't just me. She thought the package from which the broth came might have been expired. Knowing the state of some of the items in the pantry combined with the taste we experienced today, that is highly possible.

We continued on to class were we were moderating an exam for another of the Sisters. I planned on playing a song for the students to learn after the exam, but forgot my guitar. As I headed back to the house, I run into Sor Margarita Guillen who is heading to the house for lunch. Feeling a moral obligation, I warn her to avoid the soup saying that I'm not familiar with all the tastes of El Salvador, but this soup tastes like it's expired. At this point she laughs and confides to me that she doesn't like this cook! I couldn't stop smiling, she cracks me up.

But her confession confirmed a suspicion I've had from the beginning of February when this cook started: that the Sister's didn't like the food. A different feel came from them at meal times versus before this cook started. At the same time, Solidea and I like the food from this cook more than the other cook because she uses vegetables more, makes a salad every lunch, and the meat isn't as scary. :) (though I still avoid soups that have meat in them - that's just asking for trouble).

So I wonder how long this cook signed on for. :) I'm enjoying it, though I'm curious what the Sister's would prefer to eat.

3 comments:

Dcn. Alejandro said...

Probablamente el jabon todavia esta en la olla. Well, just wanted to pass on that we (Deacon Mikey & friends) are all praying for you and all those who are with you now. God bless. St. Therese of Liseux, pray for us.

Erin O'Connor said...

Maybe someday you should sneak into the kitchen and go through the cupboards and get rid of everything that is expired. Who knows what the cook will try to feed you next!

By the way, your pictures are beautiful!

Karina said...

Well, if there was still soap in the dish, I guess the positive side is that the dishes are being cleaned. The next day the cook made a point of making soup from scratch and telling us when we came in for lunch. :) It was very delicious.

However, I may take a perusal through the cupboard anyway, just to see what kind of history is in there.