Sunday, March 15, 2009

Quiet Walks

Today it is very peaceful on the school campus, nobody is here, only Sor Carol and I. Everyone is home to vote for the presidential elections today. As though to play along with that the weather has changed for the day: it is overcast, cool, with occasional light rain. The whole atmosphere of the school has changed for me. I went to the chapel to pray when a light rain began. I stepped out on the stairs to watch. When I re-entered the chapel it felt like walking into a cottage to curl up and get cozy – very welcoming.

I didn’t realize how much I have missed this, the ability to walk around without running into anyone, the quiet, the peace, simply listening to the birds in the trees. Walking around without aim, really looking at the place I’ve been living for the past 2 months (it’s 2 months yesterday), and discerning why I’m here.

I had a good talk with Jesus on that today. I thought about how a place doesn’t really have significance without people. People make all the difference. And I know I’m making a difference by being here in San Salvador, but what kind of difference am I making? What kind of difference do I want to make?

As I thought about this, I knew that I wanted to give these girls more than an ability to speak English, I want them to become self aware: aware of the dignity within each of them given to them by God, to cherish who they are and their talents, and not to compromise their dignity for any reason. I’m only here for a year, but I pray the Lord will speak through me to these girls His message of love and human dignity.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karina, that is beautiful. I'm glad you got some alone time (without your little shadow stalking you)...I know how much you need that! I hope you don't have to wait another 2 months before you get to experience that again!

havalittlcourage said...

Great post!

Karina said...

Thanks guys. I´m hoping this day might repeat itself somehow. :)

Anonymous said...

that's why you SHOULD teach! you will do great work.

-Melissa A

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear that! I love to have that kind of moment..alone.. You and God... It's wonderful! I hope you Have a nice day...