Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Guard Dog

I met one of the guard dogs Sunday morning. Not exactly intentional. I woke up at 5:15 AM to go out and walk around the school grounds. Didn´t actually get outside until 5:30. The dogs are usually called in at 5:15. Appararently the weekends are more relaxed.
I walked around the basketball court about 2 times. On my second pass I considered walking over to the chapel and further on but decided to keep it in the basketball court a bit longer. As I made the second pass I thought I saw a dark shape behind me and looked while walking. One of the guard dogs was walking behind me.
My heart jumped into my throat! From everything I´ve heard, these dogs are very aggressive and here is one just casually walking about 5 ft behind me. I decided I had walked enough and headed for the dormitory, keeping my pace regular and calm. I guess I didn´t seem to be a threat because the dog didn´t make any move to follow me, or even seem that interested in me. When I got inside I watched as the dog heard something and ran toward the chapel. Probably heard the girls calling him in for the day.
Not the exercise I was hoping for, but it got my heartrate up!

I made my first venture out for a walk this morning (after several days of reassurances by everyone that the dogs are brought in at 5:15 on weekdays) and am happy to report there were no encounters this morning.

1 comment:

havalittlcourage said...

Oh my goodness! I would have been so scared. Probably good you didn't run. You were very brave! :)