Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lent - Cuaresma

Let´s see how briefly I can sum this up.

I´ve been feeling very homesick. My thoughts include: I don´t like the city, I can´t go out on my own, I don´t have friends to hang out with, I have too much work with teaching, I don´t like teaching, and the Interna´s leave me hiding in my bedroom to avoid them (which I can´t as much now that Solidea is gone). Basically everything I had romanticized about missionary work has lost its shiny appeal. There is still appeal, but it´s not shiny.

Then I went to the teacher´s meeting Saturday morning, it started with prayer and reflection. I thought that was a pretty cool way to start the meeting! One of the readings that morning was Matthew 4:1-10, Jesus´time in the desert of fasting and prayer.

Wow. That hit home. Pretty sure God spoke directly to me there. Here I am in El Salvador, had just been thinking about how much I don´t feel I belong and want to go home to escape, well, all the responsability. And here is this Bible story about Jesus fasting for 40 days and how Jesus felt hunger! It must have been an intense hunger, and I realized that I could connect on a much deeper level with this story as I have an intense hunger for home. This is my fasting this Lent. And I choose this without knowing how it would tie into Lent. What perfect timing. And a perfect oppotunity to turn to God and rely more deeply on him.

I had a very good meeting with the teacher´s after that. Went out of my way to meet some teachers and had good conversations with them. I´m very happy about that since Solidea and I tend to form a rather exclusive group by only speaking English. In fact, I´ve come to talk to the other teachers a lot more now that Solidea isn´t here and I´m liking that. Slowly but surely, this language barrier is coming down.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl,
i really enjoyed this message. God speaks in mysterious ways both quite obvious and a little more subtle. anyway, i wanted to pass along a little tidbit that always helps me when i'm homesick. just look at the moon and know that the moon that you are looking at is the same moon that we are looking at here at home. makes the world seem a little smaller. i wish you peace and encouragement on your journey and i hope your package arrives soon...
~sara

havalittlcourage said...

Just wanted to say that I think this was a great message...for all of us. You are missed and thought about and prayed every day. I am so proud of you.
I also wanted to mention that I got a good laugh when I checked your weather boxes and saw that it was EXACTLY 70 degrees different. That's fun. I am jealous of the warm weather...it has been cold here. Supposed to get back into the 70's by Friday though...so at least I have something to look forward to. :)
I miss you. Crazy how, to me, you being in another country seems just as far away as everyone in MI. Sigh. Love you.

Karina said...

Thanks for the encouraging words. I´ve been looking at the stars(the moon doesn´t seem to come out until after I´m inside for the night) and some of the constellations are the same, just more north. :)
Katie, to me you are as far away as Michigan. :) And the crazy thing is, I read about how you were maybe going to swim if the weather got up to 70 and I thought, ¨how crazy, now, if it´s 70, there is no way I would walk around without jeans and a sweatshirt, much less jump into water.¨ That is crazy to me.

Miss you guys!

Unknown said...

That's really beautiful Karina. You know I've been feeling homesick too, especially b-c I love being with the kids so much and when they leave to go home I miss my mom and my friends even more. You're reflection really helped me, I'm going to think of this times as a time of fasting. Think of how much more beautiful Easter! God bless you my friend! I love reading your blog!