Sunday, October 18, 2009

Baleadas

Have I mentioned Baleadas before? If so, they deserve a second mention. They are the typical food of Honduras, but we get to enjoy them here in El Salvador as well. Yea!

Gina, Jodi, and I just helped Elizabeth prepare a dinner of baleadas. I spread the dough for the big tortillas (not made like regular tortillas) and after I tried to flip a few on the hot comal, relinquished that job to Jodi because I´m a woose and complained of burned fingers. No worries, I´m an excellent spreader of dough, so I did that. The beans were already prepared. Tortilla, beans, and cream. Umm... So simple, but sooooo good!

I´ve added this to my recipe collection. I´ve been collecting recipes here! I now have, um... 3. Okay, so I haven´t really been diligent in collecting recipes or learning how to cook the staples here, but I do have Pupusa´s, the sauce to put on Pupusa´s, Tortilla´s, and now Baleada´s. I figure that´s all I need. I´m hoping to be able to find and buy the cheese we have here. Everything else is fried.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love and miss baleadeas! We always added avocados to ours! Looking forward to seeing you again soon-
Fr. Mike

Karina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karina said...

FYI - I will be making baleadas when I get home! You´re welcome to share in the spoils. :)

havalittlcourage said...

Brandon talks about baleadas ALL the time. He LOVES them! He had a student last year from Honduras and he asked her to bring him some next time her mom made them. She was like, "Ok Mr Smith, but no one can see me bringing them to you." :)

As far as the cheese, I don't know what cheese you are talking about but my friend who did mission work in Belize has been trying to find this cheese she had when she was there with no luck. Maybe you will have better luck in Michigan. Hopefully!

Karina said...

Yeah, apparently the cheese doesn´t even have a name. It´s just queso. They´re not too big on variety here (same beans, same tortillas, same cheese - different amounts of salt) so when I ask what type it usually boils down to how soft or how much salt to differentiate between the cheeses. It´s still the same cheese though.

I need to find me some Hondurans in Michigan!

Anonymous said...

i want you to cook for me! i'd love to try some new recipes :)

-melissa a

Karina said...

Awesome Melissa! I love to cook for people who want to eat my food! So much more rewarding. :)