Saturday, October 3, 2009

El Día Típico

Today there will be many students, parents, and friends, not to mention teachers, at the school as we celebrate El Día Típico. On this day, family and students come to prepare and sell typical foods of El Salvador. This should be very exciting as there are still many foods I have not tried.

It will also be good for other reasons: 1)The students will be here and I love talking to them outside of class and 2) their are 3 volunteers now so we can split each item so we don´t get full on one and try bunches!

I´ve really enjoyed showing them around and helping them get settled. It´s been a lot of work that left me really tired and a bit disoriented last week (I kept wearing the wrong uniform for each day and would plan classes for the wrong day), but there is so much to show them and I only have a month before I head home. At least we´ve made it outside one day this week, so they know where the post office, one supermarket, and the closest mall are. They also now know where to take the interna´s to watch a movie, play basketball, and how and when to approach Sor Marg. Roman to get permission to do these things with the interna´s. :) Every task has it´s challenges.

I hope to be able to show them around San Salvador a bit more so they can get familiar with the busses and how to get to the most necessary places. Now that I have more energy again, I´m really looking forward to this. I´m also hoping to be able to have one or two classes plan a haunted house! Wouldn´t that be perfect?

No comments: