Friday, October 9, 2009

Thriller

All of the teachers from the school, including the 2 new volunteers and myself have just attempted to re-enact Michael Jackson´s Thriller for el Día de los Niños. The potential for this to be something good was there: we had practiced the dance (somewhat modified) each day this past week and our zombie makeup looked great!

It started with ¨MJ¨ dancing with his girlfriend, just like in the video. They come to the graveyard, the music changes, and the zombies stationed around the gymnasiasm begin to rise from the ground. Children scream as the bedraggled, white faced, vacant eyed, zombies stagger to the stage. The dance begins. Screams change to crys of delight. The one leg drag shuffle forward, the head jerk, and suddenly the spastic movements turn into smooth dancing zombies.

Those girls were screaming their heads off! And crowding in really close on our dance space. Because of this, our dance brought us right up to the girls sitting in the front, and no one could step out in front to lead the dance. I kind of lead the first part of the dance since I was front and center of our two rows, but once we changed sides, I danced on the end of the line and no one knew what to do next. So our dance fell apart. We all came together again for a few dance moves and people randomly chose moves, and when the music finally ended we staggered off into our changing room.

Good or bad, it didn´t matter to the students, they loved it! Really, in what school in the States would this ever happen? It is soooo much fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I love a good thunderstorm, the wilder the better. Doesn't seem like we've had one in years here and I miss them. Glad you're getting to enjoy them.
MOM

Tanya said...

Why are there no pictures of this?

Karina said...

Working on that. Gina and Jodi will let me use their computer to upload photos (since they have the same kind I had and I can simply insert my memory card from my camera), but haven´t gotten around to it yet.