Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Nearing the End

Have you ever done this? You´re in a situation where items or comforts you are used to are denied you. You know that for the time being, there is nothing you can do about this, so you tell yourself to forget those things and simply focus on what you have. I´ve been doing that for the last 9 months and it really hit me today in the supermarket.

Gina, Jodi, and I went to the supermarket to pick up party items for the End of the Year/Birthday Party (for those whose birthdays are not during the school year) for the Interna´s. As we walked through the food aisles to pick up a few snacks for ourselves I suddenly realized how tired I am of crackers, nuts, and peanut butter(easy foods to keep stored in your room) and everything else looked sooooo appetizing!

I walked by Eggos in the freezer section and longed for Eggos; I walked by broccoli and longed for a veggie platter with veggie dip; I walked by All Bran Flakes and longed to take it home with me. I long to prepare meals again, because meals are so much more satisfying when prepared yourself. (even macaroni and cheese!)

So, my self denial is really starting to fall apart. I hope I can keep myself busy enough these last weeks to hide this fact from myself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

why can't you eat eggos?

-melissa a

Matt and Janelle said...

I know exactly what you mean hun! We've been so lucky that after 3 months we figured out how to cook evening meals for ourselves. Last night Matt put together a simple balsamic vinigar, & cucumbers on bread. So refreshing. The food I've missed is the fresh veggies, stirfries, and chicken pot pie... oh and american candies! I can't believe your almost done... just a few more weeks... it kind of blows me away. We're here until the end of February, which luckily still feels like a ways away. Hondurus sounds sooo wonderful! enjoy!

Karina said...

Hey Melissa. I can buy and eat Eggos, but if I buy them, everyone can eat them because they are automatically community food. What this can sometimes mean, is that I buy food (such as yogurt) and never actually eat any before it´s all gone. I just don´t have that kind of money!

Erin O'Connor said...

WHAT?! Karina, sick of peanut butter?? i never thought I'd see the day!