Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Few Things

1) I will never get tired of watching the storms roll in each day. As the clouds gather and build in the distance, lighting jumps around inside, lighting them from the inside. I watch while the storm approaches, the daylight fades, and the lightning becomes brighter as it branches outside the clouds in a fascinating display that holds me to the slanted windows until the sudden deluge of rain forces me to close the windows.

2)Gina, one of the new volunteers, is a musician and plays the guitar and sings for the girls. I love listening to her and playing/singing with her! She is very talented and you can check out her music at
http://www.myspace.com/ginachavez
She´s definitely worth a listen!

3)I killed a giant cockroach in my shower last night. I didn´t even know it was there until after my shower - imagine my surprise. It was a triumphant moment because usually Solidea would kill my cockroaches (though, to be honest, that only happened one time). Proof that the Lord only gives us challenges which we can handle. ;)

4)I believe the storm with Cecibel and Solidea´s Facebook photos is finally blowing itself out. Solidea accepted Cecibel as her friend on Facebook once she got back to Italy. Cecibel immediately perused her photos and found many photos of El Salvador. Not so unusual. What upset her were the photos of the ¨Poor People¨ and she felt this robbed the people of their dignity and made fun of El Salvador. I would like to point out that these photos did not depict people in a bad light, but merely doing tasks which they do on a daily basis.

She had MANY complaints about various photos and what it all boiled down to is that she now hates Solidea.

I talked it over with a few other people (and I showed others the photos as well to see if they were offended, I know Solidea wouldn´t purposely try to paint a bad light of El Salvador - but they weren´t offended. In fact, they didn´t think much of it at all.) and the school psychologist said it could be that because Cecibel misses Solidea so much, she is looking for a reason to dislike her, so it doesn´t hurt so much now that she´s gone.

I went through the photos with Cecibel. We went over the comments(in Italian) and what they meant so she´s not upset about those anymore, and while she is still upset about the photos, she doesn´t hate me anymore. Yes, she said I was like Solidea and so disliked me as well for a couple days.

We had quite the argument yesterday, but I wouldn´t change my position that the photos in no way are meant to offend, and she walked off in a huff. But later that night she gave me an exhausted and apologetic hug, so she likes me again.

I know this is hard for her, so I´m trying to be understanding, but at the same time standing firm in the truth, because she needs to see that just because she wants to hate Solidea, doesn´t mean that she can contort the truth. She needs to accept her pain and learn how to cope with it.
Not sure I´m the best person to help her with this, but it would seem I am the one here to do it. Keep us in your prayers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

gina's music IS amazing!

-melissa a